Thursday, March 31, 2011

Steak and Chicken Fajitas

Jay and I had our wonderful friends Chris and Heather over for dinner on Saturday night.  Right now Jay and I are not eating refined carbs so I thought Fajitas would be a good dinner to serve that would be pleasing for everyone.  Jay and I could have the steak, chicken, and veggies without any problem or temptation and I bought some cheese, rice, beans, and tortillas for our carb consuming friends.  This way everyone is happy and everyone wins! :)

In my past life I've made a lime marinade with about a 1/4 cup of olive oil for the meat.  So current dietary restrictions do not permit extra fat...so no 1/4 cup oil.  I decided to try and make the marinade without the olive oil.  This is what I did:

 I zested two limes then I cut and juiced them into a bowl.  I used my pampered chef citrus press and it worked great getting all the juice out.
 I then chopped up a lot of cilantro in my manual food processor.  I didn't use all of this in the marinade, I just chopped it all at once to save myself time later.
 I whisked together the lime zest, juice, and half of the cilantro with some kosher salt, 1tsp of pampered chef chili lime rub, and 2 garlic cloves I pressed in my wonderful garlic press.
I tasted the marinade and noted that it was to acidic.  I ended up cutting it with a tiny bit of oil, I used my kitchen spritzer to spay some oil into it.  I had to, I tried so hard to not use any at all, but I guess a marinade needs some oil.  But hey, I used way less than a 1/4 cup. 

The marinade was great and I used it on the chicken, steak, and veggies.  We had a wonderful dinner and fun time with our friends.  It was a really great Saturday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment